Thursday, 14 February 2013

Not so plain planes

New toys

   A good tool should be functional, fit the hand well and either last forever (usually means very expensive), or last well for it's price.
Some, like these Veritas planes are elegantly made, a joy to use,  and look good enough to hang on the wall. They also look like they will last and last. I bought one and liked it so much that I got the second, narrower one soon afterwards.
These are detail rebate planes, and are designed for cleaning up the bottoms of slots, or into corners.
I work with small things a lot and will use them for all the things that a block plane is too big for.

Veritas tools usually come into the expensive but very good category, but these are imperial rather than metric and are being discontinued so I got them for half price. Having tried them I think they are probably worth the full price (over £50 at time of writing).

I've started making use of the planes I own more lately, in an attempt to reduce the amount of sanding I do - and it seems to be working,  long shavings don't get into the lungs, and they are easier to sweep up.





No comments:

Post a Comment